What are the most serious lung diseases?
According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), USA, the most common lung diseases in the USA are:
- Pulmonary edema.
- Lung cancer.
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Atelectasis – collapse of part and sometimes all (less common) of the lung.
What autoimmune diseases affect the lungs?
Autoimmune conditions that commonly affect the lungs include:
- Lupus, which causes inflammation in different parts of your body, such as the skin, heart, and lungs.
- Rheumatoid arthritis, which causes inflammation in your joints.
- Scleroderma, which causes your skin (and sometimes other body tissues) to harden and tighten.
What are the symptoms of lung problems?
Common signs are:
- Trouble breathing.
- Shortness of breath.
- Feeling like you’re not getting enough air.
- Decreased ability to exercise.
- A cough that won’t go away.
- Coughing up blood or mucus.
- Pain or discomfort when breathing in or out.
What is severe lung disease?
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, commonly referred to as COPD, is a group of progressive lung diseases. The most common are emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Many people with COPD have both of these conditions. Emphysema slowly destroys air sacs in your lungs, which interferes with outward air flow.