Developments in rare bone diseases and mineral disorders
- Osteogenesis imperfecta. OI or ‘brittle bone disease’ is a clinically heterogeneous disorder of connective tissue.
- X-linked hypophosphataemia.
What is the rarest bone disease?
Osteogenesis imperfecta (OI), rare hereditary disease of connective tissue characterized by brittle bones that fracture easily.
What are the 7 most common diseases of the skeletal system?
Other common conditions that affect the skeletal system include:
- Osteoporosis: This is a disease in which the bones become fragile and prone to fracture.
- Leukemia: This is a cancer of the white blood cells.
- Osteopenia, osteitis deformans, and osteomalacia: Similar to osteoporosis, these are other types of bone loss.
How rare is Gorham’s disease?
Gorham’s disease is very rare, and some cases may be misdiagnosed or undiagnosed. Because of this, it isn’t known exactly how many people are affected. As of 2016, there is a discrepancy between the number of cases reported in literature reviews, ranging from 64 to 200 cases.
What is Gorham’s disease?
Gorham’s disease (pronounced GOR-amz), also known as Gorham vanishing bone disease and phantom bone disease, is a very rare skeletal condition of unknown cause, characterized by the uncontrolled proliferation of distended, thin-walled vascular or lymphatic channels within bone, which leads to resorption and replacement