Other important bacteria and viruses that cause foodborne illness include:
- Bacillus cereus.
- Hepatitis A.
- Staphylococcus aureus (Staphylococcal [Staph] Food Poisoning)
- Vibrio Species Causing Vibriosis.
What are the 5 most common foodborne illnesses?
CDC names top five foodborne illnesses in United States. The top five germs that cause illnesses from food eaten in the United States are norovirus, Salmonella, Clostridium perfringens, Campylobacter and Staphylococcus aureus, aka staph.
What are the common food borne diseases?
Commonly recognized foodborne infections are:
- Campylobacteriosis (Campylobacter)
- Cryptosporidiosis (Cryptosporidium)
- Cyclosporiasis (Cyclospora spp.)
- Escherichia coli O157:H7 Infection (E.
- Giardiasis (Giardia)
- Listeriosis (Listeria monocytogenes)
What is the name of the bacteria that cause food poisoning?
The bacterium Campylobacter jejuni is a common cause of food poisoning. Contaminated poultry, meat and milk are sources of infection. It takes about 3 days for the symptoms of diarrhoea, stomach cramps and fever to develop.