What are the 7 most common diseases of the skeletal system?
Other common conditions that affect the skeletal system include:
- Osteoporosis: This is a disease in which the bones become fragile and prone to fracture.
- Leukemia: This is a cancer of the white blood cells.
- Osteopenia, osteitis deformans, and osteomalacia: Similar to osteoporosis, these are other types of bone loss.
What are the different types of bone disorders?
Bone Disease Types
- Osteoporosis. One of the most prevalent bone conditions, osteoporosis involves bone loss, leading to weakened bones that are more likely to break.
- Metabolic bone diseases. Osteoporosis is one of several metabolic bone diseases.
- Stress fracture.
- Bone cancer.
What are the symptoms of bone disease?
The most common symptoms that occur relate to bone or joint pain. Other symptoms include swelling of joints, tenderness, or redness of the skin that covers the areas affected by Paget’s disease. Some people only become aware of their presentation of Paget’s disease after experiencing a fracture in a weakened bone.
Can bone disease kill you?
Bone diseases aren’t limited to infections, of course. Osteosarcoma can cause everything from pain to fractures of the bone. People with this type of cancer will likely need surgery to remove the cancer, as well as chemotherapy to kill any cells that weren’t removed during the surgery.