What are the top 10 rarest diseases?
Top 10 Rarest Diseases You’ve Never Heard Of –
- 10: Foreign Accent Syndrome. 
- 9: Microcephaly. 
- 8: Epidermodysplasia Verruciformis. 
- 6: Hutchinson-Gilford Progeria Syndrome. 
- 5: Harlequin-Type Ichthyosis. 
- 4: Congenital Analgesia. 
What are the most common rare diseases?
Infographic: Which Rare Diseases Are The Most Common?
- Multiple sclerosis emerges above all others, at 90 patients per 100,000 people.
- Narcolepsy—intermittent, uncontrollable episodes of sleepiness—affects 50 patients per 100,000.
- Primary biliary cholangitis, the damage of bile ducts in the liver, affects 40 people in 100,000.
What is a very rare disease?
A rare disease is any disease that affects a small percentage of the population. With only three diagnosed patients in 27 years, ribose-5-phosphate isomerase deficiency is considered the rarest known genetic disease.
What are examples of rare diseases?
Rare diseases come in many forms and include some cancers, auto-immune diseases, metabolic conditions and inherited malformations.
Some examples of rare diseases are:
- cystic fibrosis.
- muscular dystrophy.
- spina bifida.