What are the most serious lung diseases?
According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), USA, the most common lung diseases in the USA are:
- Pulmonary edema.
- Lung cancer.
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Atelectasis – collapse of part and sometimes all (less common) of the lung.
What autoimmune diseases affect the lungs?
Autoimmune conditions that commonly affect the lungs include:
- Lupus, which causes inflammation in different parts of your body, such as the skin, heart, and lungs.
- Rheumatoid arthritis, which causes inflammation in your joints.
- Scleroderma, which causes your skin (and sometimes other body tissues) to harden and tighten.
What causes lung disease?
Asthma, chronic bronchitis, and emphysema. Infections, such as influenza and pneumonia. Lung cancer. Sarcoidosis (sar-KOY-doh-sis) and pulmonary fibrosis.
Is coffee good for lungs?
Caffeine is found in coffee, tea, cola drinks and cocoa. Caffeine is a drug that is very similar to theophylline. Theophylline is a bronchodilator drug that is taken to open up the airways in the lungs and therefore relieve the symptoms of asthma, such as wheezing, coughing and breathlessness.
What’s the worst lung disease?
UnityPoint Health pulmonologist, Jim Meyer, DO, tells us the top eight respiratory system illnesses, including which two are the most dangerous.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Chronic Bronchitis.
- Lung Cancer.
- Cystic Fibrosis/Bronchiectasis.
- Pleural Effusion.