The Top 8 Respiratory Illnesses and Diseases
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Chronic Bronchitis.
- Lung Cancer.
- Cystic Fibrosis/Bronchiectasis.
- Pleural Effusion.
List of rare lung diseases
- Idiopathic interstitial pneumonias.
- Hypereosinophilic lung diseases.
- Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (ABPA)
- Pulmonary vasculitis.
- Alveolar hemorrhage syndromes.
- Pulmonary lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM)
- Alveolar proteinosis.
- Pulmonary amyloidosis.
Diseases that can infect the respiratory system include:
- Chickenpox (varicella) (ImmunizeNC: Vaccine-Preventable Diseases – Varicella)
- Coronavirus infections (including SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV)
- Group A streptococcus.
- Haemophilus influenzae type b.
- Influenza (flu)
- Legionnaires’ disease.
- Measles (rubeola)
Asthma is a long-term disease of the lungs. You might hear your doctor call it a chronic respiratory disease. It causes your airways to get inflamed and narrow and makes breathing difficult. Coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, and chest tightness are classic asthma symptoms.Emphysema is a long-term, progressive disease of the lungs that primarily causes shortness of breath due to over-inflation of the alveoli (air sacs in the lung). Emphysema is included in a group of diseases called chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or COPD (pulmonary refers to the lungs).With an autoimmune disease, a person’s own immune system attacks the lungs, causing inflammation and scarring that can impair lung function and breathing. Rheumatoid arthritis may lead to a group of lung conditions categorized as rheumatoid lung disease.Bronchitis is an inflammation of the bronchial tubes, the airways that carry air to your lungs. It causes a cough that often brings up mucus. It can also cause shortness of breath, wheezing, a low fever, and chest tightness. There are two main types of bronchitis: acute and chronic.Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease ( COPD ) is a chronic inflammatory lung disease that causes obstructed airflow from the lungs. Symptoms include breathing difficulty, cough, mucus (sputum) production and wheezing.
What is the common diseases of respiratory system?
Diseases and conditions of the respiratory system fall into two categories: Infections, such as influenza, bacterial pneumonia and enterovirus respiratory virus, and chronic diseases, such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
What are the diseases of circulatory and respiratory system?
Emphysema (COPD) – Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, of which emphysema is one of, results in progressive destruction of the air sacs in the lungs and loss of respiratory membrane for oxygen exchange. The bane of long term smokers. Atelectasis – a collapsed lung.
What are symptoms of respiratory disease?
Common Respiratory Disease Symptoms
- Difficulty Breathing. While it’s common to feel a shortness of breath during exercise, if it doesn’t go away—or is present when you aren’t exerting yourself—you should be concerned.
- Stubborn Cough.
- Breathing Noisily.
- Lingering Chest Pain.
- Chronic Mucus.
- Coughing Up Blood.
What are the different respiratory diseases their causes and symptoms?
Lung Diseases Affecting the Airways
- Asthma. Your airways are constantly inflamed and may spasm, causing wheezing and shortness of breath.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Chronic bronchitis.
- Acute bronchitis.
- Cystic fibrosis.