10 Health Problems Related to Stress
- Heart disease. Researchers have long suspected that the stressed-out, type A personality has a higher risk of high blood pressure and heart problems.
- Depression and anxiety.
- Gastrointestinal problems.
- Alzheimer’s disease.
Can Stress Make You Sick?
Stress is your body’s response to an actual or perceived threat. Too much stress, however, can suppress your immune system and cause you to get sick more easily. Prolonged periods of stress can also increase your risk of several diseases, including heart disease and cancer.
What are 5 emotional signs of stress?
Some of the psychological and emotional signs that you’re stressed out include:
- Depression or anxiety.
- Anger, irritability, or restlessness.
- Feeling overwhelmed, unmotivated, or unfocused.
- Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much.
- Racing thoughts or constant worry.
- Problems with your memory or concentration.
- Making bad decisions.
What percentage of illnesses are linked to stress?
Stress is a factor in five out of the six leading causes of death — heart disease, cancer, stroke, lower respiratory disease, and accidents. An estimated 75 percent to 90 percent of all doctor visits are for stress-related issues. There seems to be a trend here.