What are the 5 most common birth defects?
- Anophthalmia / Microphthalmia.
- Anotia / Microtia.
- Cleft Lip / Cleft Palate.
- Congenital Heart Defectsplus icon. Atrial Septal Defect. Atrioventricular Septal Defect. Coarctation of the Aorta.
- Diaphragmatic Hernia.
- Down Syndromeplus icon. Data and Statistics. Growth Charts.
- Esophageal Atresia.
What is the rarest birth defect?
The most common are heart defects, cleft lip and palate, Down syndrome and spina bifida. Others, such as the ones listed below, are rare and less well known.
Rare birth defects include:
- Albinism, ocular.
- Albinism, oculocutaneous.
- Anencephaly (a neural tube defect)
- Arnold-Chiari malformation (chiari malformation)
How many babies are born with genetic diseases?
Report Says Six Percent of Babies Are Born with Genetic Disorders. I’m Steve Ember with the VOA Special English Development Report. A new report estimates that eight million children each year are born with serious disorders caused at least partly by their genes. That is about six percent of all births worldwide.
What causes baby deformity?
Birth defects can be caused by genetic factors and by a variety of environmental injuries such as infection, radiation, and drug exposure during pregnancy. The majority of birth defects, however, are without detectable cause. About 20% of birth defects are caused by genetic or hereditary factors.